The Hendrickson Scholarship Fund is an educational assistance program designed to encourage residents of Nebraska in their preparation for service in the Presbyterian Church (USA).
Funds for this program are provided by the earnings of a gift to the Synod of Lakes and Prairies through the will of Carol Hendrickson, and from her husband, Bruce Hendrickson. The Hendricksons are/were very active in the church in Holdrege, Nebraska, and in the Synod and General Assembly.
Applicants must be:
1. Interested in service to the Presbyterian Church USA, with a commitment to this denomination evidenced by a recommendation from a Session or campus ministry or Presbyterian activity.
2. From Nebraska. Those who were born and raised in Nebraska would be ideal. However, the committee will judge how rooted a person is if they have moved to Nebraska from another part of the country.
3. Attending a PC(USA)-related seminary. The grant will be made to students selecting a PC(USA) seminary, including the online program offered by such seminaries.
4. Interested in preparing for the pastoral ministry. Candidates who are preparing as Commissioned Pastors or Christian Educators may be considered.
5. Pursuing their first seminary degree. Scholarships will not be awarded for those pursuing a D.Min., other advanced degree, or for continuing education/sabbatical.
Applications will be evaluated and awards selected on the basis of information supplied on this form and the recommendation forms. Students must be able to demonstrate their preparation for service as a church professional. Winning consideration will focus on qualities reflected in school, church, and community activities, and academic achievement.
If you are interested in this scholarship program, all necessary admissions and financial aid forms for the school in which you are a current student (or have been accepted as a beginning student) must be completed. It is your responsibility to be sure that all forms, including the required transcript, financial aid statement, and letters of recommendation are submitted to the synod by the deadline with your scholarship application. Incomplete applications will not be considered. It is the applicant’s responsibility to return a completed application.
All applicants will be notified by the committee if they have been chosen to receive the Hendrickson scholarship. The scholarship awards may only be used toward educational costs and will be paid directly to the school. The grant is a supplement to any other financial aid received by the student and becomes a part of the total financial aid package.
Please direct questions to:
Hendrickson Scholarship c/o Finance Committee
Synod of Lakes and Prairies
2115 Cliff Drive
Eagan, MN 55122-3327
Deadline: September 15 annually